Most pregnant women often think about uterine contractions, as this is the most important symptom of their delivery. If you are becoming a mother for the first time, you will be surprised to know that you may feel uterine contractions during pregnancy before delivery.
In such a situation, the question must surely come in your mind that what are the contractions of the uterus during pregnancy? In this blog, we are giving you all the information related to uterine contractions during pregnancy.
1. What are uterine contractions in pregnancy?
In pregnancy, normal delivery is possible only by contraction of the uterus, which causes the baby to move continuously to the vagina and exit the mother’s womb for the first time. It is a process in which the uterine wall shrinks and spreads due to hormones released from the woman’s body.
In other words, during contraction of the uterus, the muscles of this organ tighten and loosen in a rhythmic manner and push the baby forward so that it can be produced.
According to doctors, uterine contractions begin much earlier than labor in pregnancy, but the duration of such contractions is much shorter than contractions of labor.
2. Why do uterine contractions occur during pregnancy?
Actually, contraction of the uterus at the end of pregnancy is a very complicated process and yet scientists are not fully understanding it. According to research, the uterus secretes two hormones at the completion of pregnancy – prostaglandin and oxytocin. These hormones send signals to the brain, causing uterine contractions and labor.
Although scientists have discovered some things about uterine contractions before delivery, the exact cause of uterine contractions during pregnancy is still unknown. According to some experts, oxytocin hormone may be the major cause.
In the following situations, you may feel uterine contractions during pregnancy-
- Vaginal Examination – During pregnancy, doctors examine the vagina of women for various reasons, such as uterine rupture, other uterine problems, etc. During this time you can feel the uterine contractions. The cause of these contractions is unknown. During this time you may feel some pain in the lower abdomen.
- Sexual intercourse – You may feel uterine contractions during pregnancy in the last phase of the third trimester of pregnancy. According to experts, if a pregnant feels orgasm, it is completely normal. These contractions can be painful and stop soon. If the contractions do not stop, these may be symptoms of premature labor. In this case, consult a doctor.
- Exercise- A pregnant may feel a uterine contraction by exercising more during the middle or late phase of the third trimester of pregnancy. These contractions usually stop after some time, but in some cases, they may be symptoms of premature labor. So if this happens to you, do not exercise and seek the advice of a doctor.
- Lack of water in the body- If there is a lack of water in the woman’s body, she can feel uterine contractions during pregnancy. Actually, this reduces the amount of blood in their body, which is used to increase the secretion of oxytocin hormone. If the contraction does not stop after some time, this condition can be dangerous and pregnancy can result in premature labor. In such a situation, consult a doctor immediately.
- Stimulation in the nipples- Pregnancy or any other reason can cause excitement in the nipples of a pregnant. This can cause her to feel contractions of the uterus, which soon stop. If you feel these contractions even after an hour, go to the doctor immediately.
3. What are the types of uterine contractions during pregnancy?
According to various experts, there are mainly three types of pregnancy contractions in pregnancy.
- Braxton Hicks contractions – Braxton
Hicks contractions usually begin at the beginning of the third trimester of
pregnancy after the 20th week. During this time, the woman may feel stiffness
in the uterus. Usually, during this time, the pregnant does not have abdominal or
back pain, but sometimes she may have mild abdominal pain and cramps.
- In pregnancy, Braxton Hicks contractions can be felt in less than 30 seconds to less than two minutes.
- These contractions are not regular but they keep on going, i.e. they are not felt as often as contractions of labor.
- In addition, they can be prevented from walking or sleeping.
- If you feel these contractions continuously every ten minutes or less, it can be a symptom of premature labor, so in this case go to the hospital immediately without delay.
- Incorrect uterine contractions – These uterine contractions can usually be felt before the onset of actual labor contractions. Through these, the cervix is ready for delivery. During this time, the pregnant may feel intense pain, cramps, and stiffness in the lower abdomen.
- There is no definite time for uterine contractions in labor, these can be felt from a few seconds to a few minutes. These contractions are much weaker than the actual distribution packages.
- These uterine contractions are irregular and are not felt as frequently as in actual labor contractions. For example, if you felt uterine contractions for 30 seconds a day and stopped. The uterine contractions are then felt again after about four hours, then this may be an incorrect contraction.
- Changing your position can relieve these uterine contractions and do not open the cervical gates.
- If you are experiencing frequent uterine contractions at regular time intervals, it may be a symptom of premature labor. In this case, without delay, immediately consult a doctor and go to the hospital.
- Actual uterine contractions of labor- The pregnant realizes contractions during pregnancy when the baby is about to be born. They can usually begin at any time during the late stages of pregnancy, ie after the 37th week. Just before delivery, the level of the hormone oxytocin increases in the body, which induces uterine contractions.
During this period, the pregnant first feels intense pain in the lower back, which gradually spreads to the lower abdomen. During this time, the pregnant’s stomach sometimes begins to feel stiff and sometimes soft.
- Initially, these contractions are felt continuously from 30 seconds to 70 seconds. Then every five minutes or less, the pregnant feels frequent uterine contractions and their duration increases.
- The actual contractions of childbirth are regular. In general, once started, these contractions occur continuously until the birth of the child.
- Changing your state does not relieve these contractions. This opens the door of the cervix, which is called the inclination of the cervix in Hindi.
- Uterine contractions of real labor begin slowly, which subsequently intensify.
Note- Every woman may feel uterine contractions differently during pregnancy. It depends on the duration of these uterine contractions and the intensity of pain during how the pregnant will feel.
4. What are the symptoms of uterine contractions in pregnancy?
The various types of uterine contractions during pregnancy are described below-
- False contraction or symptoms of contraction
- Tightening of the stomach.
- Lower abdominal cramps.
- Mild or intense pain in the lower abdomen.
- Uterine sensitivity.
- Feeling stiffness in the lower abdomen.
- Symptoms of actual contraction
- Lower back pain that gradually increases towards the abdomen.
- A burst of the water bag, which can lead to rapid discharge of white water (white powder) from the vagina.
- Unbearable pain and pressure are felt in the abdomen and lower back, because during this time the baby moves downward, ie the vagina.
5. What to do if the uterus is contracted during pregnancy?
If you feel uterine contractions during pregnancy, you can get relief from contraction problems by adopting various measures. These measures are given below-
- What to do when Braxton Hicks contraction
- Do not sit in one place for too long and change your place. Sometimes walking can help relieve discomfort during this time.
- Sometimes due to lack of water in the pregnant woman’s body, she can feel uterine contractions, so drink plenty of water.
- If Braxton Hicks Congestion is suspected, women may perform relaxation exercises or breathing exercises. They are considered very beneficial. Although they will not reduce your pain, but you can get relief from the troubles caused during this time.
- During this time, you can also take a bath with mild hot water.
Remember- if a woman’s pregnancy is less than 37 weeks and she feels symptoms like actual uterine contractions of labor, then these may be symptoms of premature labor. That is why seek the advice of a doctor before trying any type of remedy.
Actual uterine contractions – So what to do
If you are experiencing uterine contractions after the 37th week of pregnancy, it can be actual uterine contractions, which often start giving birth to women. That is why consult a doctor in case of frequent contractions.
A pregnant has different types of uterine contractions at different stages of pregnancy. These often confuse her with an understanding of childbirth and actual uterine contractions.
Always remember that every woman may feel labor contractions in different ways. Also, consult a doctor for any fears related to uterine contractions during pregnancy.
Need guidance in baby growth week by week or are you facing any Pregnancy-related issue, call +91-8010-994-994 and talk to Credi Medical Experts for FREE and get assistance in choosing the right Doctor.