Surgery in which a kidney or part of a kidney is removed is known as Nephrectomy. Basic types of kidney removal includes- simple nephrectomy in which only diseased kidney is removed, another is radical nephrectomy which is mostly done when kidney cancer is present it involves removal of kidney, adrenal glands, surrounding fatty tissues, lymph nodes next to kidney. Last is partial nephrectomy in which only part of one kidney is removed it is only chosen when patient has only one kidney.
Surgical Procedure and Types of Nephrectomy in India
- Open nephrectomy:In this traditional method of surgery incision is made on the side or front of abdomen which is 10 to 12 inches long.the ureter is cut between the bladder and the kidney and clamped, and blood vessels connecting the kidney to the donor are also cut and clamped.This surgical procedure can take upto 4 hrs depending on the condition of the patient and the type of nephrectomy to be performed it can be partial or complete, removal of in infected part alone or the ureter , adrenal gland or the surrounding tissues may also be removed.
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy: This type of surgery involves making 3 to 4 small cuts in the abdomen area and is also known as keyhole surgery. It is a procedure in which laparoscope is used to remove the kidney. A flexible video-scope is used by the surgeons to view the kidney and the surrounding tissues. Through four small incisions the video scope and surgical instruments are maneuvered in the abdomen , also carbon dioxide is pumped in the abdominal cavity so that it can be inflated and visualization of the kidney can be improved. As the kidney is isolated , it is then secured in a bag and through fifth incision it is pulled. This procedure is a bit longer than the traditional method but it ensures speedy recovery and barely visible scars.
- Robot-assisted laparoscopic surgery: In this technique for surgery in which the robotic arms holds the tools and scopes and the surgeon controls it. This robotic tool requires very small incision also it gives 3-D images during the procedure ,the robotic arms can make fine and complex motions which is similar to what surgeon hands can do in open surgery.
In order to check the functioning of the kidney, GMR, urine protein , etc. medical test are done. Imaging tests helps in determining which procedure is best whether partial or complete nephrectomy should be opted.The imaging tests include:
- Computerized tomography
- Magnetic resonance imaging
Risk Factors During the Procedure
- Risk factors from anesthesia include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Reactions to the anesthesia
- Risk factors from the surgery include:
- Postoperative pneumonia
- Pulmonary embolism – the formation of a blood clot in legs that may move into the lungs
- A hernia can occur in the area of the incision
Nephrectomy Recovery in India
As in any other surgery the recovery time depends from patient to patient ,and predominantly depends on the type of surgery which is performed. Recovery time can take from 4 to 8 weeks depending on the condition of the patient as little discomfort in the incision area is normal till healing is completed , but unbearable pain accompanied by unusual swelling, oozing and/or bleeding, it should be brought to the surgeon’s attention immediately.
Stay in hospital can be of 2 to 7 days , after which the patient is discharged with a follow up schedule and medication to be followed in which most of the medicines are pain relievers and medicines to get the functioning of the body on track. Follow up procedures should be taken seriously otherwise there can have serious consequences.
Kidney removal may be needed because of
- Birth defects
- Injuries to the kidney
- High blood pressure
- Chronic bleeding
- Kidney donation for a transplant
Nephrectomy and Cost in India| Vaidam Health
Vaidam health is NABH certified trusted platform which helps you to connect with top doctors for your nephrectomy surgery in India. Vaidam provides you complete information on nephrectomy and its cost in India . The expert medical advisors help you to plan your treatment within your budget and take rite medical choice. All you need to do is send your enquiry in the enquiry section on Vaidam’s portal or give a call to know more.
Top Doctors and Hospitals For Nephrectomy Treatment in India
Vaidam provides you complete list of top doctors in India some of them are:
- Dr. Arun Halankar
- Dr. Prakash K C
- Dr. Rajeev Annigeri
- Dr. Saurabh Pokhriya
Some of the top hospitals are: